Friday, 10 March 2017

Outfit of the day OOTD Homewrecker edition

Good day friends! We're enjoying sub-zero temperatures here in Northwestern Ontario.  Which leads to my outfit picture.  A tuque, warm Norwegian wool sweater and cordouroys. The sweater and cords were thrifted from a Salvation Army.  I love finding Norwegian sweaters!  They are thick, warm, colorful and comfortable.  They are the perfect thing for bone-biting, winter weather.

Nothing says "class" like a bathroom selfie!


I accessorized this outfit with safety glasses, work gloves and thick shoes because of this project.





A few months ago, I cashed in some savings.  The savings were accumulated over 27 years of penny-pinching and budgeting.  I used the proceeds to purchase an investment property in our rather dilapidated, downtown core.

 On January 31st I took possession of this lovely old building.  

Cumberland Manor House, established 1940??

The Cumberland Manor House is a 19 room boarding house. It is a solid, two-storey brick building.  Located in what used to be a bustling industrial area.  My neighbours include fast food restaurants, a meth clinic and a liqour store. The good news is that the neighbours also include an art gallery, dance studio and a learning academy.  After 20 years of a rather downtrodden existence, there is rejuvenation in the downtown area.  Vacant banking buildings and old-style tailor shops are turning into bustling restaurants, pubs and boutiques. There is a long way to go before all vacant buildings are filled with new enterprises, but we're getting there.  The Manor House is located a few blocks away from this growing entertainment district. I know that once rehabilitated, this boarding house will fit nicely with the newer, upscale clientele.  

On February 28th, I helped the last tenant move out of this building.  Some of the tenants didn't leave their rooms in a tidy state.

Yuck!
I have been busy clearing out rooms, and demolishing old nasty drywall.  The previous tenants were allowed to smoke in the building.  The new tenants will not.

Here is my 'to do' list, written in marker in one of the rooms.



Let me tell you, my arms and shoulders are getting an excellent workout from demolition and debris removal!!

And so friends, if I neglect this blog for a few weeks, please forgive me.  I still visit your blogs regularly.  They're a welcome distraction from drywall dust and debris removal.  

Happy thrifting ;)

6 comments:

  1. Blimey - that's a job and a half you've got ahead of you. Kudos to you for having a bash at it yourself!
    Funnily enough I picked up a Nordic cardi with braiding and clasp fasteners this week. They sell like hot cakes even in the summer. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! That's interesting that Nordic sweaters sell well even in the summer! I love my Nowegian sweaters. I have one cardi with the pewter clasps and and one sweater.

      Thank you for your lovely posts. Your colorful outfits are a welcome respite from my debris removal tasks!!

      Delete
  2. I love Nordic cardies and jumpers. I can't seem to find any decent ones, though. Oh, and that's quite a job you set yourself. Good luck! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Princess! I wish I could send you Nordic cardies and jumpers. I come across them fairly regularly. I treasure them!! Haha, yup, I have quite an ordeal ahead of me. Luckily I've recruited a couple of able-bodied helpers to assist with demolition. Then when we are done, the contractor comes in to do the construction. I can honestly say that I sleep very soundly thanks to all this work. :) Take Care.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can I come live there? Need a resident cook?

    I'm so happy for you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Haha! Thanks Goody, yes I could use a resident cook!!

    Thank you for your happy wishes. I hope you are keeping well.

    ReplyDelete