Tuesday 3 December 2013

Up a hot fudge sundae

I recently toyed with the thrift gods and lost.

Here is my story, gentle reader.


Yesterday after work I popped by Value Village.  This is the same Value Village where I had previously found my fabulous Pendleton hobo bag for a mere $15 plus taxes.  As I scanned the racks of purses, my eye fell on a beige beauty, tucked in amongst other purses.  I caught my breath as I saw the beaver logo.  Could it be?  It was!!  A genuine suede Roots handbag with a cute tassel trim.  It was priced at $12.99.  I checked this bag inside and out and it was in immaculate, new condition.  

I took the bag to the cash register, where I saw the sign.  Tomorrow there was going to be a sale, everything would be 25% off.  I wrestled with myself internally.  Should I purchase the bag now?  I could gamble that it would be there tomorrow and save a few dollars.  I'm on a pretty tight budget, and a few dollars goes a loooong way.  So I decided to put the bag back.

This is what happened the next day.

I woke up to find a big dumping of snow.  I was late getting to work, so I didn't have time to park for free and walk 1/4 mile to work.  So I had to park in the parkade next to my work.  Parking is $4.25 (down $4.25).

Then I got to work, and started a usual, long grueling day of answering IT requests and fixing problems.

During the day, I mentally pictured my gorgeous handbag...would it still be there?

At the end of the day, I discovered that parking was free that day!!  Yay (up $4.25).

I zoomed off to Value Village and made a beeline to the purses.  I eyed up other shoppers near the purse area  to make sure they casually didn't spot my suede beauty.  Breathlessly I got to the purses and scanned the racks quickly. Sadly, my purse was gone.  Oh well, at least I didn't spend the money (up $10).

Then I went home.  I was famished and I was looking forward to the Montreal style, smoked meat sandwich I was going to have.  I had prepared the sandwich meat in advance, so all I had to do was pop it into the microwave, and then into my mouth.  When I got home, I discovered scraps of plastic on the ground, and my dog with this expression on her face.


Sugar, the wonderdog.

Turns out I had left the smoked meat on the counter in a baggie, and Sugar helped herself.  I'm sure she hesitated before devouring my dinner.  I'd like to think that she is a dog with high moral standards. Wow, am I delusional or what???  (Down a dinner)

I prepared myself to eat a bowl of canned soup, or go out and buy a fast food meal so that I'd have the energy to shovel the piles of snow in my driveway.

Hungry, and somewhat grumpy, I texted my boyfriend.  I told him what Sugar had done. He instantly replied inviting me over for dinner.  He had made a delicious crockpot roast and had more than enough leftovers after his brood ate dinner.

I went to his house and chowed down on dinner.  I also took a doggie bag home for the nefarious Sugar (up a dinner).

After my darling boyfriend came over and snowblowed the driveway (and showed me how to use the contraption).  He had to speed off to look after his brood.  I decided to treat myself to a hot fudge sundae at McD's (up a sundae).

And so gentle readers, this is what happens when you dance the dance of waiting for sales at the thrift stores.  Sometimes you win, and come home with a ridiculously inexpensive, quality item.  Sometimes you come home to a guilty dog.  Sometimes you end up with ice cream.



It's all good (dog).

happy thrifting.

No comments:

Post a Comment