Sunday 24 November 2013

Thrift store furniture makeover, part 2 and 3

Those of you that have been reading my blog (all 4 of you) may recall this laminate wood furniture.  I acquired it from the Salv Army.  I think it was a microwave stand from the 80s (back when microwaves weighted around 100 pounds).

BEFORE

80s faux wood splendour!!


Here is what it looked like after 2 coats of oil-based primer and some paint.
AFTER

Ta da!!
This unit is now living in my bedroom. I'm using it to store my jeans, purses and jewels.  I cleverly put this unit in the only corner that didn't have an electrical outlet, so until I figure out a genius plan, I cannot use the showcase light built into the second highest shelf.

I had to use oil based paint to paint the laminate wood.  Since the choice of colors was limited, I mixed blue and silver to get the color I wanted.

Mixology

Here is the resulting color.


Paint tray

Normal people would have finished painting this cupboard in one night.  I however got severely distracted by Lost (damn you Netflix!!).  The result is that one door, and part of the cupboard didn't get painted.  If that didn't complicate things enough, the paint in the paint tray dried out, and I had to mix a new batch of blue and silver.

This is what happens when you procrastinate.

Luckily, I was able to match the color of the rest of the cupboard, and I finished painting without any other mishaps.




Let the organizing begin!!!

happy thrifting.

No comments:

Post a Comment