Wednesday 3 February 2021

First February Frift Trip

Happy February friends!! Whew! We survived January, didn't we?

I don't know about you, but so far the weather in northwestern Ontario has been.....bloody fantastic!! There has been less-than-average snowfall.  But with enough snow on the ground to make it winteresque. The temperature has been warm!! There have been only a few days when the thermometer dipped below -20 Celcius! Woo-hoo!  My super snug oversized sweaters have been languishing in storage (my fancy way of saying they are still in boxes in my garage), and I have been prancing about in jeans, hoodies and impractical footwear.  

I've been cooped up from home.  Working away on the laptop during the day, and pottering about at night. Social distancing has become the standard operating procedure here...but yesterday..I took the plunge and went to the only thrift store that was open. My mission? Find a hand-held mirror in order to perform haircuts at home.

My destination was a massive new thrift shop. Let me tell you...it's BEAUTIFUL!!! The displays and stock were meticulously displayed. Oh, did I mention they have HUGE selection?? After being homebound for months, it was a bit overwhelming.  At first I walked around with a purpose...but that soon collapsed into picking up anything that caught my eye.  After I filled my cart, I had to stop and give myself a stern talking to. My home is cluttered with projects I need to complete...so did I need to bring more clutter? NO! So I put everything back except for this.....

White Planter




Cactus Planter




Vintage pearlescent seashell planter (made in Japan)



And then because I was craving shiny pretties...











All the time I spent fiffing and faffing, deliberating over my selections meant that I was leaving just as this beauty was being donated. It took me 1 second to decide I was going to pounce on it. I grabbed it as soon as it was priced and available for sale.  Do I "need" it...hell no!! But sometimes you gotta grab statement decor when they present themselves.  

This candelabra has tiny silver hands holding the candles..very eye-catching! The customer behind me was oohing and aahing as she admired it (from 6 feet away).


Silver plated candelabra with center bowl





Well friends, there you have it! I hope you enter into February like I did...hopeful, seeking, selective and bountiful!!

happy thrifting ;)







 

5 comments:

  1. Love those first two planters and that chandelabra has an ecclesiastical look to it. x

    ReplyDelete
  2. It does, doesn't it! Inspired by your remark, I googled "ecclesiastical candelabra" and I found a similar one on Wayfair...for $800!!! And so I decided to list it for sale for a fraction of the price. Perhaps I can flip it and pay off some debt :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. My first trip back to the thrift store after our first lockdown was a bit overwhelming too, so I'm hearing you. Jos and I remarked to each other that it felt like being on a school trip!
    You did well! Loving those first two planters, the brooch and the candelabra. And of course you needed that ring, if only to make you feel happy! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Ann!! Yes I did need the ring!! Er, rings!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have that Sara Cov. brooch. I think there's matching earrings so something to look for.

    ReplyDelete