Monday 8 February 2021

What to wear in -15 to -20 Celcius

 Hello friends! Well the balmy temperatures we have been experiencing have been displaced by a polar vortex. The mercury has now dipped to a high of -15 Celcius during the day, with a low of -20 Celcius at night.  Sigh.


Time to pack away the cotton sweaters and bring in the wool, angora and cashmere (note: I do my best to buy second-hand wool and cashmere because I don't like how some companies harvest their cashmere and angora).




When the weather starts getting cold, forget about wearing tight sweaters and skinny jeans. You need loose layers that trap heat.  My go-to outfit choice is a loose tunic sweater worn over a long sleeved thermal top. Loose jeans with thermal underwear underneath and warm boots with wool socks. Topped with an oversized warm coat, hat and scarf and good mitts.


Here is the a small part of my sweater collection.  I drift towards oversized sweaters made of wool or wool/acrylic or cashmere or angora. When I go shopping, I"ll check out the menswear and women's plus sizes for items that are a couple sizes larger than I normally wear. 




These are the only two sweaters that I purchased new. The pink tunic is from RW and the cream tunic is from Hudson's Bay store.



These sweaters were all thrifted.  I likely didn't pay more than $5 each. The pink turtleneck has had the tag cut out, but it is very good quality.



Fine merino wool men's sweater with geometric design.



Jones Studio oversized tunic made of acrylic.




ANA sweater tunic..it has glitter thread!



Elisabeth plus sized acrylic wool sweater 



My cherished, Canadian made Linda Lundstrom tunic



Two sweater dresses, I wear them over leggings or jeans



Nice Italian made loose grey sweater dress...it looks nice dressed up and dressed down! Sweater dresses are so versatile!


Cynthia Rowley Merino Wool dress. I can hardly wait to wear this! It's so pretty.


Well friends, I hope you are keeping safe and sane. Hope to hear from you soon.

stay warm!

happy thrifting ;)














2 comments:

  1. We are currently having a cold snap, with temperatures remaining sub-zero for at least a week. Certainly, this does not compare to your arctic temperatures, but it's still quite unusual for Belgium. My jumpers are on constant rotation right now. I'm loving your collection of woollens! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Ann!! I need more bright colours like your woolies. We seem to have limited selection for colours.....hmmmm maybe it’s time to make a colourful sweater?

    Stay warm!

    ReplyDelete