Friday 5 February 2021

Monster haul "Extreme Cheapskate" version

 



Hello friends! This post is all about the monster haul of epic proportions. 


In fact, it's a post about a series of hauls....of epic proportions.

Interested in my massive savings? Well read on :)

Here is the backstory...picture it, a discounted department store that stocks unsold clearance items, end-of-lines and other miscellaneous things. It was my go-to place when searching for cheap reno supplies, hardware and other DIY bits and bobs. It was also a place to find furniture, food, cosmetics and clothing. What was this wondrous place called?  McFrugals


20,000 square feet of bargoons!




Sadly, McFrugals was going out of business. A new business leased the property and they wanted McFrugals out. So in November, when the "going out of business" signs started going up...I watched and waited...

At 40% off...I started making a list.

At 60% off...I bought a few interesting food items and tried them. 

At 80% off..I started buying with a vengeance!
15 pairs of work gloves @ 70 cents a pair!
7 cans of fly spray @ 90 cents a can!
cabinet hinges @ 50 cents a package!

self-closing cabinet hinges reduced from $2.49 to 50 cents!!


Mind you, this wasn't just 80% off. This was actually 90% off regular retail, as items were already discounted 50% when they hit the retail floor...an additional 80% reduction was applied, whew! A glorious mathematics exercise indeed!!

The following day
6 lampshades (something that seemed to get destroyed by tenants) for $1.50
6 boxed sets of cute Avon rings for $1.50
4 sink caddies for $1.00
5 greeting cards for 10 cents!!

These cute boxed sets retailed for $9.99. I am going to use them for keychains




That same day I went back after work, and scooped up the rest of the cabinet hinges. All 51 packages! By this time they were further reduced and they rang through at 10 cents a package!! I bought 'em all.

By this time I noticed there was a cosmetics/skin care section. I purchased some hair conditioner and skin care and tried it out....it was great!!


Hair conditioner...I usually spend at least $6 and this was 60 cents!




Argan oil face cream, intensive care moisturizer and cleanser/toner.




These products were what I refer to as "slightly expired"..as long as you don't buy anything that will separate right away, you can tuck a hoard away in a dark cool place and pillage the hoard over a period of several years.  This is how I stock up on face creams and such...I buy lots when the price is ridiculously low and the product is good. 

The following week I went back and stocked up on:

 7 boxes of energy efficient light bulbs @ 50 cents
more hardware (surprise)


At this point, I noticed that the shelves were starting to look seriously bare, as other DIY shoppers, contractors and landlords were also cashing in on the savings. After some careful calculations I bought the following:

shoelaces @ 60 cents each
ten eyelines @ 60 cents each
3 leather insoles for my workboots @ $1.80 each
3 corner shower curtain rod kits @ $3 each
assorted sash curtain rods 60 cents to $1
curtain rods $1.20 each
6 towel rods @ $1 each




I maintain my rental properties (I have two) and whenever a tenant moves out I find I have to make minor repairs or upgrades. I rent to international students, who I love, but a bit of boisterous play to vent after exams can result in unexpected damages. I have resigned myself to replacing these things and moving on.

Do I love being a landlord? You bet! I think my tenants are the greatest!
Do my friends and family think I am crazy? Hell ya!
Would I buy another property that requires work? YESSSSS

Three days before the store was supposed to close permanently, I happened to drive by for a look. And I saw that they had increased the clearance discount to 90%

90%

That's freaking 90%


Then I pounced.

42 rolls clear tape for mending books @ 8 cents each
23 industrial metal grips (similar to the sort on clipboards)  @ $1 each
12 large bubble mailing envelopes @ 80 cents each







I carefully rationalized my purchases because I don't want anything I cannot use. The metal grips will definitely come in handy for suspending protective sheets.

Then I went back for one last trip on their last day of business.  At this point the shelves were scoured almost bare, but I still managed to make some unexpected finds.

Picture frames.

I had been searching for clear acrylic covers in order to post notices etc. They were available on Amazon for $15 each, which was far out of my budget...and then it dawned on me...picture frames...which were 90 cents each. 

Cue happy dance.






I found the stationery aisle where there were still lots of labels. I used to pay $1 a package, so when I discovered these packages were reduced to 3 cents each I bought a hundred packages. I used them to label canned preserves and other things.






Did I mention that I will be labelling and organizing my mega haul for weeks to come???  First world problems.

On a whim, I bought some necklaces with pretty blue pendants, and some miniature car bits and pieces...I'm going to make some interesting jewelery with this.  There was another crafter there doing the same. The necklaces were 23 cents each, and the miniature wheels were 33 cents each.









I bypassed a lot of things in the stationery aisles. A lot of things are not paper-based anymore. And I am riding that wave in order to be more efficient and energy conscious. I don't mind buying paper products, it's all the other fluff that goes with it (printer cartridges, filing cabinets etc.)

I snapped up a 12 cent stapler, some gift wrap, and a few more greeting cards. But I bypassed everything else (like this wall of rulers).



I also snapped up 4 packages of scrapbooking supplies though. I enjoy putting loose photos into scrapbooks. And this stuff is expensive! I normally pay $15 per package, these were $1 a package.




Another happy find were these binder pouches. They are handy for holding small tools, and are great for keeping small bits together (light switch covers and their small screws). I used to buy boxes of clear ziploc baggies, but these pouches last longer and don't require replacing.  At 15 cents each, they were a jaw-dropping bargoon!







During my shopping forays, I took the time to chat with the sales clerks when they weren't busy. They were great, friendly people and I was sorry that they were loosing their jobs. Most of them seemed to be happy for the change, and they were looking forward to the "after party" when the store closed for the final time.

On the last day the store was filled with a few families who were stocking up on things for their family. Because this store was one of the few that were still open during the lockdown, the little 'uns took advantage of the open spaces to run around a bit...don't worry, everyone was masked and social distanced.  It was nice to be around people for a change, and I struck up many friendly chats with other bargain shoppers. We showed off our finds in our trolleys (from 6 feet away).  There were families that stocked up on boots for their kids ($1.40 a pair), and clothing and other essentials.

Here are some more random finds. Everything was 90% off the lowest ticketed price.

30 cent beans



Wine vinnegar, curry sauce, beans, Thai sauce and biscuits. All between 20-30 cents each.





I loathe spending money on greeting cards, but these were too cute and humorous to pass up at 10 cents each.





For my extra fancy keys.







Whew! I'm tired. Are you tired? 

Over the next few weeks I"ll be organizing my hardware and renovation purchases. I'll keep you posted on my efforts!

happy thrifting ;)





4 comments:

  1. you did REALLY well. I definitely would have bought the rulers as they always seem to go missing in my house. That many and you could practically panel a room (hmmmm).

    I haven't shopped for anything but necessities in person, and everything else online because I'm old, sick, and Nebraska is swimming in Covid. But I am enjoying going along on your trip. Labels are so darn expensive-you should be set for life now.
    So glad to see you back.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Woo! Those wooden rulers would have made ah-mazing paneling! Not for this lady though. No time!

    It’s so good to see your comments Goody. Stay safe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, talk about a Monster Haul, that surely is one. How clever of you! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Ann! A lot of thinking went into these shopping trips...I did miss out on some great deals because I waited and planned. But I know I got lots of great deals that will be put to good use.

    ReplyDelete